Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 2: SF Street Art

Hello Hello!
Despite it being rainy and cold, I visited the Asian art museum today. There is are definitely some beautiful things in there including the fairly standard Asian-history stuff. My favorite sections would have to be India and Japan:

^Japanese pottery.
^ Japanese Kimono worn by the crown prince.
^Jade bowl.
^Chinese painting.

My ultimate favorite thing, however, would have to be the giant floor to ceiling metal mesh screens with flowers drawn on them with a fire torch. When up close, you could see all the colors. It was really stunning:




After geeking out at the Museum I got a preview of Steve Johnston's solo show at 111 Minna Gallery called "Fight or Flight." Its really spectacular! The opening night is Thursday and anyone in San Francisco should attend.

^ Look how happy he is. If you go to the show you will be happy too.

Next, I endeavored on one of the longest walks of my life through the alleys of the Mission District in search of SF street art. I was not disappointed! I found street art galore and these were some of my favorites:

^I just really like that cat.
^Old mural of elephant, Steve claims this artist and his work have been around for a long time.
^Flame-breathing fuzzy monster?
^This one might be my favorite. It's pretty sweet.
^These Koi fish were everywhere. This artist really got around.


^This one was right next to a giant Mars1 mural.

I also got a chance to visit some local stores that had trendy, artsy clothes including Uptown Playground where I got a screen printed tee. I think I walked about 20 miles and by the time I finally got back to my hotel my feet felt like they were going to fall off. Overall, though, I couldn't be more pleased.





No comments: